Hello, my 11 y/o queensland mix just suffered a catastrophic failure of his TPLO and we are awaiting our surgeons verdict of amputation or repair. It looks very grim with the hardware failed,screws pulled out and multiple fractures.we were careful to keep him confined but were allowing 10 stairs at 4 weeks post op due to surgeon saying it was okay.we had an "oops" due to a short kitty chase and jump into a flower bed when he pulled off the leash. the stairs were only used 2x a day for potty breaks and seemed to be ok until this happened. I think the oops moment began the problem,no major symptoms but our boy seemed to not progress during the week following it then he collapsed on the stairs screaming(crying) in pain. Our hearts are broken and we feel totally responsible yet pissed at the surgeon who said stairs OK at the 4 week phase.All this days before the much awaited 6 week xray and possible return to his beloved walks at the beach.> I have read about the differing advice regarding stairs and write this to encourage others to NOT DO STAIRS! Also as I have read before here,... be hypervigilant for signs that progress has halted not just major signs like not weight bearing I think the oops moment with the kitty was what loosened things then the stairs finished it.> In conclusion has anyone else
experienced a TPLO failure of this type/magnitude and do you folks have any advice/referrals or any info about options here? Sorry for the bad news but really felt my experience would be good to post and we are desperate for info.
April 29, 2009
scary post on orthodogs
I don't think it was the stair that did it, more to do with chasing cat. It's a reminder to all of us...what a little chasing can do to their fragile leg. Poor dog :(((
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my gosh.. that's awful! Deborah (the physical therapist that Mickey saw) was warning me about this. Because surgeons don't hands on participate in the rehabilitation and recovery of the dog they give "go ahead" sometimes far too early when really the dog needs a lot more time to recover and a lot more physical therapy. Even dogs who are given the "go ahead" at a three or four month mark can sometimes destroy all the recovery time without the proper muscle development. I have horses and I know this to be very very true, I've had vets tell me my horse was ready to jump again four weeks post injury and and when I did they re-injured themselves because the muscles around the injury were far too weak.. patience and awareness seem to be what's most necessary. And remembering that vets aren't always right! I always trust everything from my vets about 75% of the way and I listen to my gut on it. If something feels wrong, then I know its wrong.
I would have never seen that on the yahoo group, thanks for posting that. It's a good reminder!
yes, big reality check for me. I am definetely going to trust my gut feelings, just like I did when I stood up for her and demanded for more tests a month ago.
p.s. thanks for the contact info.
Post a Comment