April 18, 2009

4/18/09 - Back to tethering/Weight bearing exercises

I tried to sleep on a futon on the floor with her but it was not comfortable. So I put up a barrier (x-pen) around a bed in the spare room so that I can sleep with her on a comfortable bed.


Still favoring the leg

She is still limping and not putting any weight on the leg. It's been going on since last Tuesday. I decided to limit her activity in the house to see if that's why. I take her out on short (3 minutes each) walks 5 times a day. If I let her loose in the house, she'd hop on three legs. It's really important that she learns to use all four legs evenly. I started doing weight bearing exercises.

(From orthodogs list)
  1. Walk on a short leash, VERY SLOWLY

  2. Stand with paws in a square position (front paws should be under shoulder, back paws should be under hips). Fix them if they are too far forward/backward, in or out.
    Make sure al paws are flat and not bearing weight on wrong surface (ie knuckling).

  3. Touch affected limb to desensitize to touch.

  4. Touch unaffected limb to “fake” him/her out.

  5. Place paw in palm and gently compress, so he/she feels weight into paws.

  6. Hold affected paw in your hand and stretch toe nails upward to stretch muscles of the pads.

  7. Perform range of motion exercises.

  8. Scratch bottom so he/she dances or wiggles gently (shifting weight from side-to-side).

  9. In standing gently/slowly rock hind end side-to-side:
    With support under belly
    Without support
    With a folded towel under affected paw
    With front limbs on a step

  10. Don’t be afraid to ask them to sit.

  11. In standing, gently touch affected limb to encourage it to bear weight.

  12. In standing, gently pull at ankle/elbow to place paw on the ground.

  13. In standing push towards the non-surgery leg, to encourage a “push back” to the other side (to increase surgery leg weight bearing).

  14. In standing, have him/her look:
    Up
    Up and side-to-side

  15. This will shift weight back and to the side. Treats may help.
    · In standing, gently/slowly rock body forward and backward.
    · While walking slowly on a short leash, gently but firmly push down on top of pelvis to increase hind limb use.
    · Do not let both limbs move together in a hopping motion. Practice reciprocal steps.
    · Discourage three legged gait as much as possible.

No comments: