April 23, 2009

4/23 - Stress!

Jazzy started having really bad diarrhea. She woke me up every half hour, but once she was out, she couldn't go because of her leg. She kept spinning, lifting the surgery leg, even tried to go with both rear legs up in air. I took her to the vet yesterday and he said it was probably from stress. No parasites or other alarming symptoms. He put her on chicken/rice diet, Immodium and antibiotics. 2 hours after she took the meds with food she vomitted everything. I hoped that some of the meds were absorbed as I don't want her to be in any more pain. I can't take another sick day this week - had to take one yesterday as she can't use the petdoor right now. I am glad I stayed home. She wanted to go out every hour. I can't leave her with loose stool confined all day!

She finally stopped ringing the bell (her signal to go outside) at 3am this morning. I am assuming the Immodium did get absorbed after all. We finally got to sleep a little. She is staying at my second job during the day.

6 comments:

Adele said...

Wow, you have been going through a nightmare with this! I hope she starts feeling better. Have you tried Metacam for pain killing? one of the side effects is loose stools, but Mickey did better on the Metacam than he did on the tramadol. The Tramadol did little to nothing for some reason and when he went back on to the Metacam he did so much better. Also, because its a liquid it might absorb faster and easier, and the dogs like the taste.
Mickey started having loose stools and they went away after the antibotics ran out. Antibotics are hell if they are used for a long period of time. With my horses I feed them their antibotics in the morning and probotics in the evening to counter the killing of not only the bad bacteria but the good bacteria in their stomachs. Horses have highly sensitive stomachs and so I quickly learned how to counter the mess that Antibotics made.

Jazki said...

How long did your vet prescribe the pain killer for? Mine gave her only for 10 days, which was a week and half ago. So she wasn't having the loose stool from meds. But if it helps with her weight bearing exercise, I might ask for more. Also which probiotics do you use?

Adele said...

Well, I haven't used any canine ones. But the ones I use for my horses are made by Probios. Here is a link to the products they make for canines.

http://www.probios.com/allPetProducts.html

My Tramadol ran out at about ten days, but my Metacam I had already had prescribed before Mickey had his surgery and they thought I had enough that they didn't need to give me some more. It ran out at day thirteen. But he was on it for probably almost four weeks by the time it ran out. Metacam is NSAID and doesn't have any side effects long term (that has been reported) and dogs have reported to be on it for years with no problems. Its an Anti-Inflammatory and mild pain killer. I think if I were in your position I would try and talk to my vet about that.. I don't think it could hurt her and the anti-inflammatory should only help.. Of course, you know your girl best. It would just worry be to death if Mickey was so off. Good luck!

Adele said...

Another one I might try or consider would be an acidophiles.. I used this type on my Bearded Dragon who was on Antibiotics for a long period of time for internal mites and his stomach got really messed up. It seemed to help dramatically. Here is a link to what I mean. (I used the reptile version of this)

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=823

And my family members use a similar product as well, we are very big into the probiotics in our family. It seems to cure a lot of problems! It might help her with stress as well, stomach aches and pains can cause stress. Or stress can cause stomach problems.. it works both ways.

Anyway, those are some ideas. I hope they help.

Jazki said...

Great idea!!! Thank you for the links.

Adele said...

Of course. :)