May 12, 2009

VPI SUCKS!!!

I've had VPI insurance on both of my dogs for years, never used it because I wanted to save it for bigger treatments like her CCL surgery.

I submitted a claim for Jazzy's surgery and out of $4600, they reimbursed only $300. On the benefit schedules, it says the allowance for CCL surgery is $1200+. I've heard insurance companies try to screw with you but didn't think this bad. I called them but they are having a 'meeting' and that I can only leave a message. I wonder if it's a norm and that unless you argue with them, you would only get the smallest money back. I've read something like that about other pet insurance companies but VPI was recommended by several people.

ETA: I finally got through with VPI on the phone. Turned out they made a 'mistake' and put it down as Hypertrophic pulmonary osteoarthropathy' instead of TPLO/CCL. yeah they are very similar condition, aren't they? Right... anyway, they will process the claim again.

1 comment:

Adele said...

that's awful! We're filing for insurance for Mickey incase he blows his other ACL, after an occured injury like an ACL they wont pay for "that knee", but they will for the other. Kinda like horse insurance I suppose. I'm looking for a good carrier. One carrier offers the options of selecting how much you want them to pay, like what percentage you want. From 30% to 100%, of course, that affects your monthly fees. ANYWAY! Good Luck!