September 18, 2009

6 months mark after TPLO

Today is 6 months after Jazzy had her TPLO. She still hops and not putting much weight on the leg. I am becoming less and less optimistic about her complete recovery.


I will say that I am finally starting to feel okay about letting her run. I still cringe everytime I toss a ball. I am still very cautious when I let her play. Last weekend I let her fetch a frisbee for the first time in almost a year. She jumped and fetch gracefully a dozen times then failed to catch. I was only tossing it 5-10 feet away from me. She missed to catch and landed somewhat awkwardly. It was not a big "Oops" fortunately. I let her rest and gave her Deramaxx for a few days and she is back to where she was last week. I do encourage her to play tug with my other dog for wegith bearing but I micromanage. We walk off leash and do incline walks on leash. We do controlled freestyle as part of her rehab. We are really enjoying this.

I was really hoping that she would be back on rubble pile by now. Not sure if she'd ever get there again. Or maybe it just takes a little bit longer for her because of her muscle atrophy. When I did joint mobilization last night, it didn't seem to bother her knee at all. She was much more tense on the hip area. Maybe it's her hip or arthritis... OK, better stop before I get depressed.

No comments: